Thursday, May 5, 2011

River Marked by Patricia Briggs



Finally, Mercy and Adam get hitched whither by their planning or family's planning. Their honeymoon was suppose to be naturally blissful but the fae have other plan unknown to them. The newly married "Hauptman" couple have to have their honeymoon cut short.


Quotes from the book

p. 16

"Not at all," he disagreed , though I've heard him call me both rash and stupid as well as munber of unflatterin things. "Your ability to survive anything that gets thrown at you sometimes leaves the rest of us swallowing ulcer medication for days afterward. I don't like the taste of Maalox."


p.25

"It's a new trend, Mercy, he said. "Right up your alley because it's supposed to be based on an Indian legend. The story is that if you catch a butterfly and whisper your wish to it, then let it go, that the butterfly will take your request to the Great Spirit. Since you released the butterfly, when you could have killed or capture it, the Great Spirit will be inclined to view your request favorably."

"I am doomed," I told the pillow. "Doomed to butterflies and balloons." "At least it isn't pigeons,"observed Warren practically.


p.49

Mating is a lot more permanent than marriage. Partly, I think it's that usually if you find your mate, he's not going to be someone you need to divorce. Abuse is almost not possible whe tow people are connected by a mating bond, and it gives you insight into your mate that allows you to avoid the nastier fights that a snowball into cold distance. And partly it is the magic is some what harder to deal with than legal paperwoark, and the mating bond is pack magic.

p.50


"And if your ex-wife or any moderately attractive woman from thirteen to seventy is in the area, you should be aware that there is no reason good enough for you to take off your ring."

p. 51

" I thought that if you're feeling primitive about this, it is only fair to let you know that i'm feeling primitive, too," I informed him lightly.


P.52

That dog tag meant more to him than the ring did-and so it meant more to me, too. I noticed that the chain looked to be tough enough that I could wear it when running as a coyote, too.


p.70

My Whole life I'd been an outsider: first a coyote raise in a pack of werewolves, then a supernatural outsider in my mother's mundane household, finally an outsider who had too many secrets to really have friends. I was good at appearing to fit in, so no one really took notice of me.


p. 166


I hadn't ridden in the back of a pick up truck since I was a kid, and it was still fun. I jumped out before he stopped, just to see if I still could. I landed on my feet but let the moment roll me backward and carry me back to my feet again. It was a matter of timing. My foster father had taught me how to do that after he caught me trying to imiate him.


"Teaching her how to do it right, so, she doesn't break her fool neck," he growled, while my foster mother, Evelyn fussed, "is likely to be less fatal than forbidding her to do, because tha doesn't work at all."


p.188


"I'll try to make sure that you always feel that way. My mother use to threaten to shoot my father."

He could barely stand up, and he was making jokes.

I nipped his shoulder. "I can see why she might feel the urge. Tell you what. If you make me mad enough to aim a gun at you--I'll aim for right between your eyes."

"So I won't feel it?", he asked.

I nipped him again, but gently, just a scrape of my teeth. "No. So the bullet ill just bounce off your hard head."

He laughed. "Bird of a feather, Mercy."

p. 239

"I like this man, your husband," he told me. Maybe it was an explanation. "He would have attacked me for putting you in danger--even though the wolf knew exactly what I was. And yet, when you asked him to have patience, he did. It is proper that men listen to the counsel of women."

"Like you listen to your sisters?" I said, as the wolf put his nose just under my ear. I tilted my head to give him my throat. Sharp teeth brushed against my skin, and I shivered.

"Wise women," Coyote agreed. "But sometimes pushy and easy to rile. I think they need to develop a sense of fun. They do not agree with me, so maybe they are not so wise at all that, eh?"

p 266-267

"Why should He?" Coyote asked. "All that is mortal dies. Death is not such a bad thing. What would be a bad thing would be living without challenges. Without knowing defeat, we cannot know what victory is. There is no life without death."

"I like my God better than I like yours," I told him.

"Don't you know, child? He is one and the same." Coyote watched the river devil wait for my response. "The Great Spirit has given us our wits and courage. He sends helpers and counsel. He sent me to you, didn't he? I talked to my sisters tonight. It was a good thing."

p269

I had made the right decision, the only decision. But that didn't make it any easier to live with the deaths of four people I could have saved. I fed Adam, and when he grunted at me, I fed myself too. I had to keep my strength up. If four people had died to give me chance to help kill the river devil, it wouldn't do to fail because I hadn't eatten.

p308

"She does stuff stuff likethis all the time?" asked Calvin, looking at Adam with respect.

Adam lifted his head, and his eyes yellow again--but his voice was only a little rough. "To be fair, it's usually not her fault. She doesn't start things."

"But it looks like she finishes them," said the woman holding Benny's hand.

p 320

I patted his shoulder. "I hate being dependent, too. It sucks."

He gave me a rueful laugh. "We do seem to be in th same boat, no?"


I suppose we must work on being gracious and grateful until we can do for ourselves. Someday the wheel of fate will put us in a position to be of use to them, and we will remember how much easier it is to give help than it is to accept it. Now, why don't you twll me of your adventures? I've heard quite a bit from Warren, of course, but I prefer to get the story from the source whenever possible."

No comments: