Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day

As a kid loved this day. It meant no school. Another day of play.

As a mom, I wonder what does it really mean to my kids and for our society. Most places aren't closed anymore with expections to banks, government or schools. Everything is sale sale sale.

This day is sorta of a wash. Nice break from our schedule but I'm left a little empty and nasty back wash of taste in my mouth, when I realize its no longer the day it was originally meant to be.

What's your take on it? I am sure if I worked on one of these places that are off, it would be my highlight in my work schedule.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's idiotic since Columbus did not discover America

jasjawillis said...

I had school. Kids had school. Only difference for me was that we didn't have mail.

I am not Columbus' biggest fan, and I am not sure how I feel about Columbus day.

RobynFlores said...

I have to agree with Joelle...he did not discover it first. Also..there are so many other days that would be better taken off. Many of the other religious holidays are not recognized, but Columbus day is....it is ridiculous! God forbid we mention God or Jesus or even Halloween in school these days....but we can sure as heck celebrate a guy who just claimed himself to be the first to find our country. It's so upside down!