Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Killing Dance by Laurell K Hamilton

Anita, Richard, and Jean-Claude are back for more mystery suspense dealing with vampires and werewolves. If you started in the middle of the series, like I did, this puts the pieces of the jigsaw together carefully and illustratively as well.

I give this book an A+.

I am going to quote two favorite sections out of this book. I haven’t done it yet in this series. So, I thought I would do it now.
Chapter 35: I laughed at this dialog between characters. Then I realized why I laughed. I laughed because in the past I have felt like someone’s toy. Not their love, or their world, just a thing to them. So, many of us have, I think we can all relate. It’s time we stop letting ourselves be that toy or amusement.
“I look like a biker slut from hells meets soldier of fortune pinup.”
“That, too, “Stephen said.
I turned to Cassandra.
“Be honest.”
“You look dangerous, Anita. Like somebody’s weapon.”
I stared in the mirror shaking my head.
“Somebody’s sex toy, you mean.”
“A dominatrix maybe, but nobody’s toy,” Cassandra said.
In the hardback book I read, there is an afterword. The last part is what got me. I have so many times been judged or thought to be something I’m not. It just goes to show that humans are more vicious and cruel than the characters. Here is the last paragraph.
“But you know what, the dark isn’t evil, it’s just dark. The choice between being good and being bad isn’t a one-time-only choice between black and white. It’s a choice that people make every day, every minute. We choose to be good. Remember the next time you see someone covered in tattoos, pierced all over, and dressed in a scary black outfit that the vast majority of serial killers would never dream of attracting that negative attention. Look at the most normal person in line. The one who looks just like your neighbor or a favorite uncle. He’s more likely to be a serial killer or a child molester. The old adage “never judge a book by its cover” is very, very true. More true than you want it to be.”

Photo from amazon.com

No comments: